Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen FL55SS and QHYCCD/ZWO

Hi,

I am planning to use the FL55SS with 

1. Flattener and reducer 
2. Only Flattener 

With dedicated Astro camera from QHYCCD or ZWO. 

But I cannot find any information about how to attach the camera and the back focus. 

Does anyone have any information to help me on how to use these cameras with the scope in the above configurations ? 

thanks a million!

saif

On 17/02/2021 at 16:44, DroneSaif said:

Hi,

I am planning to use the FL55SS with 

1. Flattener and reducer 
2. Only Flattener 

With dedicated Astro camera from QHYCCD or ZWO. 

But I cannot find any information about how to attach the camera and the back focus. 

Does anyone have any information to help me on how to use these cameras with the scope in the above configurations ? 

thanks a million!

saif

flatredkit2.jpg

As I understand it you have to use a Wide Photo AD 60 rotator in conbination with a standard t-ring to get the correct spacing. So the standart t-ring will give you 55mm back focus and then you need to add the width of that wide photo AD-60 rotator adaptor that screws into the m48 tring.

The only referance I can find seems to show it to be about 8.5mm thick so that would give a back focus of 63.5mm from the end of the etention tube 66 (provided with the reducer / flattener kit and the sensor.

Of course you  could just purchase the rotator and then you can be sure that the back focus from its rear surface is 55mm.

https://global.vixen.co.jp/en/product/3878_09/

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vixen-Direct-Wide-Photo-Adapter-Canon-EOS-3876-from-Japan/265043290476?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131231084308%26meid%3D3b083878cf4f46099a1a5998b5e02fce%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D383115510547%26itm%3D265043290476%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDefaultOrganicWithAblationExplorer%26brand%3DVixen&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109

I would confirm by chatting to your retailer though.

Adam

• Thanks 1

The standard back focus from the Vixen reducers is 63.5mm (confirmed here Vixen FL55SS fluorite apochromat with Flattener HD and Reducer HD (skypoint.it)).

If you are just using the flattener then you get an extension with the HD Reducer set which is 76mm long (Vixen Flattener HD Kit for FL55SS | Vixen) so given the threads that would give about 130mm to play with when just using the flattener. 

When considering attachments the M60 adapter is less common to find.  Vixen producer a 'rotator' that also converts to a standard t thread thought TS optics also do some other adapters to M68 and M48 I believe.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/02/2021 at 03:02, Adam J said:

flatredkit2.jpg

As I understand it you have to use a Wide Photo AD 60 rotator in conbination with a standard t-ring to get the correct spacing. So the standart t-ring will give you 55mm back focus and then you need to add the width of that wide photo AD-60 rotator adaptor that screws into the m48 tring.

The only referance I can find seems to show it to be about 8.5mm thick so that would give a back focus of 63.5mm from the end of the etention tube 66 (provided with the reducer / flattener kit and the sensor.

Of course you  could just purchase the rotator and then you can be sure that the back focus from its rear surface is 55mm.

https://global.vixen.co.jp/en/product/3878_09/

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vixen-Direct-Wide-Photo-Adapter-Canon-EOS-3876-from-Japan/265043290476?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131231084308%26meid%3D3b083878cf4f46099a1a5998b5e02fce%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D383115510547%26itm%3D265043290476%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDefaultOrganicWithAblationExplorer%26brand%3DVixen&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109

I would confirm by chatting to your retailer though.

Adam

Hi, 

thanks for the response. I did get the rotator in the end. 

but the rotator does not have any threads on the camera side. Just smooth. I was expecting M48 male threads.  

any ideas ?

12 minutes ago, DroneSaif said:

Hi, 

thanks for the response. I did get the rotator in the end. 

but the rotator does not have any threads on the camera side. Just smooth. I was expecting M48 male threads.  

any ideas ?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/vixen-60da-focus-wide-adapter-for-canon-eos-cameras.html

Should have had the EOS adaptor attached. It must have something on the back? 

3 hours ago, skybadger said:

IIRC, you take your canon t adapter apart by unscrewing the clamping screws at the side and mount the canon bayonet part on the smooth angled flange of the vixen adapter by tightening the screws up again. 

It probably could but I am not using canon. I am using an Astro camera QHYCCD. 

to be precise I am trying to use the camera with a manual filter box and connect it to the scope… and failing at it  

38 minutes ago, DroneSaif said:

It probably could but I am not using canon. I am using an Astro camera QHYCCD. 

to be precise I am trying to use the camera with a manual filter box and connect it to the scope… and failing at it  

I think that at this stage you need to talk to someone like FLO. 

The missing link here is that the vixen adapter you link is meant to be used with dslrs and dismantled t-adapters. Sadly I have yet to find a «thing» to t2 male  thread adapter, they are all t2 female to camera native bayonet. So in the past I have made my own.

To attach a camera to the vixen draw tube I have  used a 60mm to t2 adapter or more preferably, a 60mm to M48 male to M48F to t2 M because it's more flexible for you to put a M48 filter wheel or OAG in between. 

7 hours ago, skybadger said:

The missing link here is that the vixen adapter you link is meant to be used with dslrs and dismantled t-adapters. Sadly I have yet to find a «thing» to t2 male  thread adapter, they are all t2 female to camera native bayonet. So in the past I have made my own.

To attach a camera to the vixen draw tube I have  used a 60mm to t2 adapter or more preferably, a 60mm to M48 male to M48F to t2 M because it's more flexible for you to put a M48 filter wheel or OAG in between. 

I would gladly buy one of you if you are making it still. 

also I have been scouring the usual places for a m60-m48. No luck there either   

16 hours ago, skybadger said:

Burger. Let me see what I've got. 

Hi, 

I have ordered this.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5354

And I have ordered this 

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p202

So maybe I will bypass the camera adaptor and connect to either the m48 for the filter box or to M42 of the camera.

That’s almost 100 euro down on just hope of at least one will work.

It took me a while but I have a home made adapter plate for the vixen direct wide camera adapter you have that replaces the camera side plate with one that has an M48 thread.  The second item on the list you have ordered will do this job fine unless you need to put your filterwheel with M54 or M48 threads there. In that case you will need further adapters since you have ordered a t2. Maybe you already have those ? 

I'm happy to loan for a period if you want it. I'll need it back eventually but not in a rush. 

M

• Thanks 1

On 14/03/2021 at 07:27, DroneSaif said:

I have ordered this.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5354

And I have ordered this 

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p202

So maybe I will bypass the camera adaptor and connect to either the m48 for the filter box or to M42 of the 

Edited by DroneSaif
Wrong quote

On 15/03/2021 at 20:27, skybadger said:

I'm happy to loan for a period if you want it. I'll need it back eventually but not in a rush. 

That is very very kind of you. I may take you up on that offer. Let me see how I get on with these two items first and I’ll get back to you. 

and thank you very much. 

On 15/03/2021 at 20:27, skybadger said:

The second item on the list you have ordered will do this job fine unless you need to put your filterwheel with M54 or M48 threads there

As it happens both adaptor that I bought worked. They are essentially the same. I am now able to have the full imaging train. But still, they are both 60-to-42. The 60-48 were still in wait list but I can at least have first light with both camera and telescope. With any luck I hope to do so this weekend.

Thanks so much for your help

8 hours ago, DroneSaif said:

As it happens both adaptor that I bought worked. They are essentially the same. I am now able to have the full imaging train. But still, they are both 60-to-42. The 60-48 were still in wait list but I can at least have first light with both camera and telescope. With any luck I hope to do so this weekend.

Thanks so much for your help

I have to say that given this scope is literally sold for AP and at a significant cost this whole thing is horrendous, vixen need  to have a good look at themselves for not providing the correct adaptor with the scope. 

9 hours ago, Adam J said:

I have to say that given this scope is literally sold for AP and at a significant cost this whole thing is horrendous, vixen need  to have a good look at themselves for not providing the correct adaptor with the scope. 

I could not agree with you more…

Ok to conclude this so that the next person seduced by the vixen(😁) will have an easier time.

The back focus from the Flattener kit is 63.5mm. 

The kit comes with a female 60mm thread. You will need to get an adaptor from 60mm to your preferred size. Vixen does have a 60-42 male to male adaptor ( see above for link). The adaptor is 5mm thick. This is what is in the photo. There are other adaptors available for they are hard to find. 

The QHY294C pro comes with a built in back focus of 17.5mm. This is a 42mm female thread. 

This leaves 41mm for filter box, OAG, rotator and any additional adaptor needed. 

Hope this helps someone in the future!!

AD4FCD8E-5647-463B-A541-F945B0F721A0.jpeg

Edited by DroneSaif
Added additional info.
  • Like 2