Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Basic Lunar Imaging Scope For A Friend?

So...one of my work colleagues took note of my own basic DSLR + C8 lunar images and now wants to do the same, albeit with less budget and using a smartphone.  It should be fairly straightforward for me to come up with a set-up for her, but I want to glean any further options from members if I may...

My thoughts...I myself swear by an EQ set-up for anything that requires tracking.  I initially went down the EQ5 + drives route as it’s quite versatile for loads of different OTA’s, so long as not too big.  Paired with that she could have something like an F8–F10 refractor....or a smaller ED72 (ED80 will probably go over budget) or a small Mak. Fit a smartphone adapter and hey presto...

There are other mount & scope packages like the AZGT + Mak, but I am not sure about the stability of this even with a humble phone hanging off the back.

Lastly, the Starquest package with Mak 102 looks quite good for a beginner, as that little Mak tube probably wouldn’t tax that little mount too badly and you can get a simple drive for it too.

She hasn’t given a budget yet(!) but one of the problems I find when discussing new set-ups with beginners is that cost very quickly puts them off, so I want to recommend a set-up that does the job on Lunar but doesn’t break her bank.

What d’ya reckon?