Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SOLVED. Weird artifact in some subs

Mr Thingy

After a short session last week I noticed that about 10% of my images had a line across them (see close up pic below from one of my darks). Checking back from another session I found the same.

Any ideas what may cause this? Is my camera faulty?

The same occurred in my bias, darks and light (I have no flats yet).

The line is alwas vertical but varies in its location on the vertical axis.

The camera is a ZWO ASI 183 MM GT. The USB cable is new and decent quality. I am using as a hub for my guide cam and EAF. Let me know if any more info is needed, or if it would be more useful to upload a fits file.

TIA

Close up of the line:

Screenshot_20210215-134547~3.png

Edited by Mr Thingy

• Mr Thingy changed the title to Any ideas? Weird artifact in some subs
24 minutes ago, wxsatuser said:

I would think it is not the sensor if it varies in location.

may be someone has seen this before

Yes, I was thinking the same.

I was wondering about some kind of interference but not sure from where or what.

My EAF is powered and driven via the hub on this camera, but that would not have been active during these images.

I also connect my guide camera through the hub but in the previous session tgat wasn't even active either.

Edited by Mr Thingy

6 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

Try taking some Darks indoors with just the camera connected.

Michael

Good idea.

I wondered if this was a known and common occurrence with an easy fix, but I think I need to start the laborious process of eliminating variables.

Taking darks with just the camera would be a decent place to start.

Thanks for looking and your guidance. I will try tonight.

Sky looks clear too 🤞 so I may even grab some new data for M42 whilst I'm at it.

I wonder if it is linked to when the guide camera is being 'pinged' by the software during the data download. If it was plugged in it would still be active through the USB. What data capture software do you use and does it auto connect to all the devices?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Clarkey said:

I wonder if it is linked to when the guide camera is being 'pinged' by the software during the data download. If it was plugged in it would still be active through the USB. What data capture software do you use and does it auto connect to all the devices?

I use NINA. I connect devices manually through that.

I think I've found the issue and it's nothing to do with my imaging train, thankfully.

I had a brainwave last night when transferring data from my laptop to desktop via a memory stick. I checked the offending images again on both machines and, you've guessed it, they are only present after transferring. 

New memory stick arrives today.

I'm relieved that this doesn't seem to be a camera fault.

-Thingy-

• Like 2

• Mr Thingy changed the title to SOLVED. Weird artifact in some subs