SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mare Nectaris 31-1-09

michaelmorris

Here is a mosaic of two picture taken last night (31/1/09). Each AVI was 2000 frames. These were MAP processed in Registax 4 (best 500 frames) then merged and post-processed in Photoshop. Because this was right on the terminator the dynamic range was just a bit too much for my Toucam. Oh to have the dynamic range provided by the 12-bit images produced by a Lumenera camera!

post-13232-133877353966_thumb.jpg

I've been looking at this picture for a couple of days thinking something wasn't quite right; and then it struck me. There is a strong light/dark dichotomy running straight through the middle of the ghost crater Daguerre in the top right hand side of the Mare Nectaris!

Damn it, gosh and crickey I thought. How did I miss that? It's obviously it is either an alignment point artefact or a rather crude photomerge in Photoshop.

Anyway, the first thing I did is check the original AVI file and [removed word] me backwards with an LX200 if the it isn't a natural feature! It's there in the original AVI, clear as day.

Anyway, the first thing I did is check the original AVI file and *beep* me backwards with an LX200 if the it isn't a natural feature! It's there in the original AVI, clear as day.

Yes, I've seen that on other images of the area. I do see a possible mosaic alignment error though. It runs from the top of Rosse all the way to the right edge of the image.

Archived