Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher star discovery 150 collimation

I got one last June, and have never touched the primary.   I did tweak the secondary a bit, but as supplied it was close enough and I didn't notice any difference.

The fixed primary design feature has been used for several years now in some smaller SW scopes.  Some in the community would not use a reflector that didn't provide a primary adjustment.  I am quite happy with one that - so far - has not needed it.

If it arrives out of alignment then you return it.  I'm sure SW wouldn't have persisted with the design for so long if it had a significant return rate, nor do I think FLO would sell it if that were true.  If you drop it and knock it out of alignment, it is actually possible to re-collimate the primary. The secondary adjusts like any other newtonian.

On the Star Discovery 150 more generally, the aim seems to have been to keep down the weight (to keep it under the mount's 5kg limit) and cost (bearing in mind that tracking and Goto are also included in a £389 package).  So, you get a short dovetail bolted directly onto the tube, no rings. You get a minimal red dot finder. The focuser is a plastic rack-and-pinion job. But the mirror is the same as in any of their six inch scopes, and I'm happy with the performance for the price I paid.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Zermelo said:

I got one last June, and have never touched the primary.   I did tweak the secondary a bit, but as supplied it was close enough and I didn't notice any difference.

The fixed primary design feature has been used for several years now in some smaller SW scopes.  Some in the community would not use a reflector that didn't provide a primary adjustment.  I am quite happy with one that - so far - has not needed it.

If it arrives out of alignment then you return it.  I'm sure SW wouldn't have persisted with the design for so long if it had a significant return rate, nor do I think FLO would sell it if that were true.  If you drop it and knock it out of alignment, it is actually possible to re-collimate the primary. The secondary adjusts like any other newtonian.

On the Star Discovery 150 more generally, the aim seems to have been to keep down the weight (to keep it under the mount's 5kg limit) and cost (bearing in mind that tracking and Goto are also included in a £389 package).  So, you get a short dovetail bolted directly onto the tube, no rings. You get a minimal red dot finder. The focuser is a plastic rack-and-pinion job. But the mirror is the same as in any of their six inch scopes, and I'm happy with the performance for the price I paid.

I think it's quite good for the price you pay, putting a 150 newt on a GoTo mount at that price was always going to require some cut backs here and there. I do like the idea of a pre collimated primary though, Allows people who would otherwise be put off buying a newt due to collimation to try one out and see what they think.

• 2 years later...