Skywatcher eq 3-2 for dslr and lens astrophotography?

I am planning on buying my first tracking mount for nightscape and deep sky imaging. I know that the ioptron skyguider pro and skywatcher staradventurer are good options, but since I live in a country, where you can't buy those (I can ship them from the US, but the shipping fees would be horrible), I'm thinking of the skywatcher eq 3-2, but I don't really know, if it is suitable for dslr and lens astrophotography, because all videos and tutorials on it are with telescopes and not camera lenses. Would be great if you know, thanks!

The EQ3-2 is probably not the most precise tracking mount, but for a DSLR and typical fixed or zoom lens it would probably be fine, provided you get the polar alignment accurate (for this you probably need to also buy the optional polar scope, fits inside the mount).  You would have to buy at least RA tracking motor to go with the basic EQ3-2, along with a suitable power supply (6v), and a vixen-style dovetail bar with a camera mount attached.  You might want to have a look at the EQM-35 as a reasonably modern goto version of the EQ3-2.  Quite a few scopes come with a 'piggy back' camera mount for DSLRs, something to consider also (perhaps to make the mount investment more worth while).

Edited by jonathan
  • Thanks 1

It will be just fine with tracking motor.

Star trackers have about same mechanical precision as EQ3 class mount - which means periodic error that is about 30-40 arc seconds peak to peak.

That is usable with lens for up to minute or two before it starts trailing.

Only reason why people prefer star trackers is portability - otherwise EQ3 is capable of the same - and even a bit more in terms of carry capacity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would agree with Vlaiv regarding the EQ3-2, the single axis motor or the dual axis 6V version will also happily run off a 5.2V mobile phone power bank (you would need to make up a lead though) making it quite portable... The advantage of the EQ3-2 over the "star trackers" is that it will also hold a 6 inch Newt or similar if you want to do a bit of Lunar/Planetary imaging.

Alan

• Thanks 1