NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How can I get Increased resolution for lunar imaging?

19 minutes ago, jetstream said:

I like this term 😀

So if I took captures with a color camera and picked an f ratio in reality only one colour would be proper out of this set of frame captures? How much affect does this have I wonder.

Avani explained to me the benefit of the IR filter vs seeing a while back.

In reality sampling rate does not have that much effect on captured data - even if you miss by factor of 2 - it will not create huge difference for captured data as is. However, it does make difference in next step of process - frequency restoration.

We end up sharpening our stack and here you can only sharpen:

1) what is there in the first place

2) what has been captured

First point tells us that there is no point in over sampling - we can't sharpen up thing that is not there and if we over sample - we are not loosing much except that our image will still look blurry after sharpening - as we don't have that finest detail to sharpen up - it is simply lost due to physics of light

Second point tells us - yes you can sample at lower resolution - but you loose any detail that was possibly there for good - you can't sharpen up what you did not capture

For these two reasons I advocate trying to be close to optimum sampling rate.

Btw, if you want to see the difference between twice lower sampling rate when sharpening is not involved, look at this:

• Like 1

Just a thought from something the OP said at the beginning: If using a Newt it may be worth noting that the best orientation for your camera is as shown here on Peter Vandevelde's self-built instrument...

Astro imaging field trip summer 2019

It's the most stable position, introduces the least tilt and keeps the setup in dynamic balance as it moves around the sky.

Olly

• Thanks 1