SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Silver Horns In The Darkness Right Now

cloudsweeper

4.45pm Saturday.  Bresser Dob.  Moon in a clear sky again.  I was immediately drawn to the Jura Mountains, west of the curve of Sinus Iridum.  They are right on the terminator, and the north and south curves project well into the darkness like a pair of silver horns!  A fine spectacle.

Going back out now for more lunar delights!

Doug.

• Like 5

More fine sights!

Yesterday I spotted two tiny pits north of Mt. Wolff (in the Apennines) and knew there were more, fainter ones nearby, but couldn't see them, probably because of the seeing.  Well just now I spotted them at x159 - a triangular formation, vey faint, but clear, west of Wolff.  Also another one to the north of Eratosthenes.

Detail in Copernicus was excellent, also the lines of pits/rilles between it and Eratosthenes.

A splendid hour, at the end of which I noticed the silver "horns" had a few silvery spots jumping between them!

Doug.

Edited by cloudsweeper
  • Like 1

Wow what a feature, the 'silver horns' I have never seen this feature profiled like this before. It is lapping up magnification and have paused at 300X, require a 3mm DeLite. There is a lot 'jumping out', but will return to the 'horns' like a mythological beast, lots of silver dimples or spots.  

• Like 1