NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Use old telescope tripod for binoculars

Nidgey86

Hi, a few years back I bought a meade telescope which isn't the best. I was one of the many that was expecting lots and didn't get much so it went into the garage. 

I have tried to get back into it and following beginners guidance I have just bought some 10x50 binnos. 

I am hoping to use the tripod from my telescope for the binnos, is there a way to adapt the tripod so I can attach them to it? 

I have included a stock image but can get true ones when back home. 

Kind regards

Screenshot_20210120_094853.jpg

There are a range of ways to mount Binos on tripods 

Many binos have a hidden threaded screw hole under a cover that fits into an L mount , or you can use stretchy straps (or bungy cords) to fit them to it..

Field Optics Research – Rapid Release Binocular Tripod Adaptor – Binocular  Outlet         image.jpeg.2332fe5332c3dc012bc6eca426b34379.jpeg

some ideas here   binocular tripod adapter - Google Search

Edited by fifeskies

I think I would be trying to remove the fork part of the mount and replacing that with a post with a robust pan / tilt head mounted on it. The binocular mounting bracket would then go on top of that.

If you have an old photo tripod the central post and pan / tilt head can usually be removed and you might find that would then fit into the socket where the fork mount head had been ?