Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ5 Skyscan and Skymap Pro 7 software

weareborg

Hi guys.

Its been awhile since Ive posted anything on here, but its always my 1st port of call when I need advice or a problem arises. Such a good bunch of folks on here.

Anyway. I'm trying to get my EQ5 Skyscan controller working with Skymap Pro 7 using the latest version of the ASCOM driver, but no matter wot i try, it will not connect. Ive tried downloading various other mount drivers but nothing seems to work.

I no it does work, cause I have had it running on Skymap before, when I 1st installed the SKyscan, but for the life of me, I cant remember how i did it. :scratch:

Any ideas guys and gals????????? :(:):grin:

Hi,

I do not use Skymap Pro but can connect my EQ5 Synscan unit from either Cartes du Ceil or Stellarium using old or the latest Ascom driver no problem (old ver on one laptop / latest version on the other). I use the Celestron 5i/8i scope selection and it works no problem.

At work but can get you the exact driver selections when I get home if you require it, Ascom is generic and providing the planetarium program recognises it it should work no problem.

Are you using the serial cable supplied with the mount and is it connected to the hand paddle?

Brendan

Hi Brendan

Thanks for the reply.

I am indeed using the supplied serial cable plugged into the handset.

Ive tried the Celestron Drivers on Skymap with no success, but I'll try them with Cartes du Ciel. Ive just downloaded that as we speak.

If you could send me the exact drivers later on, that would be a great help.

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

Ascom details as follows:-

From the "Telescope" configuration panel in your planetarium program (I use Cartes du Ciel) select the Scope Interface as "Ascom", in the Configuration Panel press to open the Ascom interface.

In the ASCOM Telescope Interface - press "Select"

opens ASCOM Telescope Chooser - using the drop down menu select "Celestron Telescopes"

in Properties select Scope Type as "NextStar 8i or 8i SE"

Select serial port "Com1" on my machine may be different on yours

Tracking Mode = EqN

Enter your scope details and site details and it should work.

Brendan

Hi Brendan

Thanks for that. Ive finally just managed to try and get it working again, and after following your advice, it says that there doesnt seem to be a Celestron scope attached. I have tried it on Version 2.76 of Cartes du Ciel. I tried getting version 3 working but for some reason, after inputting my location, as soon as I click on Telescope and then Connect, the program crashes.

I did update my Hand Controller from version 3.22 to 3.23 on friday. Do you think this could be the problem????

Its doing my head in now. lol

Andy

Hi Andy,

I have been running version 3.23 happily with both versions of Cartes du Ciel, 2.76 and 3, there is an Ascom Plugin on the download page for CdC, have you downloaded and installed it ?.

Sounds more like a port configuration issue, are you using a laptop with a serial port or an usb - serial adaptor?, what is your exact configuration.

Brendan

Not sure how you would check to verify if the com port was working or not, the easiest way I can think of is to plug in a old serial mouse (or some other serial device) and see if it works, strange, try turning off your firewall as well if you have one, don't think it controls serial ports but worth a try.

Presume you have checked in device manager and all is ok.

Strange !!

Brendan

Hi Brendan

Still no joy. So I decided to try and install the EQMOD Ascom driver and guess what??? It flaming works.

Only tried it on Cartes du Ciel ver 2.76 so far, but I dont see why it shouldnt work with anything else.

Just wish I knew why the Celestrron driver wont work. Id rather not use EQMOD as it seems too complicated. Or is it just me???? lol

Andy

Hi Andy,

Well done, its working - I have EQMOD installed as well, it's really handy anyway, you can use it by putting your handset in PC-direct mode (a new feature in 3.23) to drive your mount, gives you ability to use your pc to control directly and is excellnet at doing mosaics.

The Ascom driver must not have been installing correctly which was corrected by the EQMOD installation.

Brendan

Archived