Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Key fob

Jack Martin

I had an I King motorized roll off roof obo installed in 2013. The key fob has stopped working. I King no longer does these items. There is no name of the manufacturer on the fob or control panel. Does anyone know where I can obtain a replacement ?

Stay curious,

Jack

Essex UK

Perhaps you just need to replace the battery in the fob?  I had to replace the 12V, 23 amp A23/MN23 battery in my wireless flash transmitter module this last Christmas.  It turns out they're also used in wireless garage door opening key fobs.  You might check yours to see if it is similar.  They look like half of a AAA battery.

Louis thanks for your reply. I should have explained it accidentally got put into the washing machine. I have tried a new MN27 battery no joy. Does anyone know where I can obtain another fob or replacement circuit board.

Regards,

Jack

Essex UK

20210119_104503.jpg

20210119_104520.jpg

Edited by Jack Martin

As a general rule, electronic components on a circuit board such as pictured above are tolerant of brief immersion. Major exceptions are electromechanical devices such as switches, interconnects between circuit boards or board-to-display, and circuits powered by a high capacity battery. The latter two are the typical killers of mobile phones. When one of those goes under, the first thing you want to do is remove the battery since there's no telling how many unintended circuit paths have been formed.

If you have a source of compressed air, it may be worth brushing some isopropyl alcohol on the switches, then hitting them with a good burst from various directions. The alcohol will mix readily with any water which may be trapped in the switch, so a few cycles will help remove it from the internal mechanism. If water is left in the switch, it can lead to corrosion which will reduce reliability and perhaps lead to switch failure. The alcohol will not damage the board or components (it's commonly used to clean flux from circuit boards following assembly or rework) and will not promote corrosion.

Finding a replacement fob is advised, since there is risk of early failure from slow corrosion. That path may be complicated if the fob employs a rolling code algorithm for security purposes.

(There are some circuit boards with carbon-coated contacts which are commonly used in conjunction with a flexible conductive strip to interface to an LCD or keypad. Such contacts should never be cleaned with alcohol. In this case, there is no reason for concern.)