NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Rosette Nebula RGB

Rodd

I have always preferred broadband images of nebula over narrowband--provided the images are, in my eyes, "good".  Unfortunately, I rarely image emission nebula in broadband due to my sky being very poor (LP and seeing with jet stream).  But I am tired of narrowband.  I decided that the Rosette was a fairly easy target due to its brightness and size--certainly much easier in my sky than dark nebulae, or faint galaxies.  This image is predominantly RGB with a smidgen of Ha in the red and OIII in the blue.  I was necessary as I was only able to capture 1/2 of the blue subs I wanted (and they were much poorer than I had hoped), and I was not able to capture any luminance.  Still waiting for the weather to break.  I have not included the OIII and Ha in the exposure count because it is difficult to know the correct quantity.  I used 10% each of OIII and Ha I collected during a previous shoot, then blended that image 50-50 with a straight RGB image.  So, not much OIII and Ha.  The blue data was BAD.  FWHM values were twice the Red and green, and the stars looked like pure halos--even when the FWHM values were almost acceptable.  Even the Bhatinov mask was not working very well--the spike being very weak--I think lost in haze.  Not sure--when I moved to Ursa Major--it worked fine for blue--so I think it was due to sky conditions.  You can see the effect of the poor blue subs if you zoom into the stars.  Anyway--this is about 1/2 an image.  I plan on collecting more blue and replacing the bad subs with decent ones.  Also I plan on piling on the luminance.  

FSQ 106 with .6x reducer and ASI 1600 Red - 99 120sec; Green - 100 120 sec; Blue - 45 100 sec. (trace quantities of Ha and OIII)

B.thumb.jpg.28e5124fcb60d5c1b5271ea2bdbc96e6.jpg

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I love this image, not being an AP guru to say least i fail to understand much of what you say but, i do know beautiful when i see it.

Thanks, Sunshine.  It is showing promise, and I am really excited to collect some decent blue and a boatload of luminance.   

• Like 1