NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Altitude Adjustment Limitation EQ5

I have just bought an EQ5 Pro and although with my 51° latitude this is not a problem normally, I found it a problem when aligning  the polar scope and finder scope, I am relieved to find out it isn’t just me being dumb or my mount. I’ll remove the front bracket do my twiddling and then put it back, does seem a bit of a design flaw though and I agree it might be helpful to mention it in the manual. 

I guess you mean the altitude screw adjustment - it's not a problem with my HEQ5 mount, but looks like the EQ5 may be different. Be aware that when you tighten the opposing screw things will shift a bit. I try and get everything set before doing polar alignment eg put the scopes on etc and adjust tighten both alt screws - then there's minimum risk of PA shifting. Would it help if the screw was just shortened a bit?  I guess the supplier doesn't know your latitude so has to send long screws both sides to cover all situations.

Not sure if that helps

Hi don't cut the bolts I have tried twice and even if you remove a small amount the bolt will be to short to adjust , it's a known problem that anything over 50degs can bend the bolts or they jump under the mount and jam 

Some of us have the upgrade bolts try and reduce the weight on the mount when you do adjustments to try and stop bolts from bending

I may be missing something but I have a EQ5 Pro and have not aligned my polar scope and finder scope. 

I have aligned the polar scope with the mount and then used a building about   . 5 of a mile away then aligned my finder scope on that then just checked it on a star later. 

https://www.myastroscience.com/polar scope calibration.    This is for the EQ6 but it is the same principle. 

https://lovethenightsky.com/how-to-align-a-finderscope/.    This for your finder. 

I'm at 53°

Edited by wookie1965