Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Robitic imaging plans

groberts

I ran an entry-level iTelescope plan for the last year and a half; I cancelled it this month.

Practically the exposure-time-vs-cost equation, even doing things like imaging in discounted periods like full moon, didn't stack up for me - I ended up generating a few hours of OIII data for a target I'd collected Ha for locally, but that's about all.

While having access to telescopes with clear skies is a great theory, in practice it's an expensive way to go I think...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, discardedastro said:

I ran an entry-level iTelescope plan for the last year and a half; I cancelled it this month.

Practically the exposure-time-vs-cost equation, even doing things like imaging in discounted periods like full moon, didn't stack up for me - I ended up generating a few hours of OIII data for a target I'd collected Ha for locally, but that's about all.

While having access to telescopes with clear skies is a great theory, in practice it's an expensive way to go I think...

I was actually thinking of the data plans.  Though not ideal, due to almost constant cloud cover now for months my astronomy hobby has ground to a halt and figured I could at least keep my interest going with such a plan + would provide good quality data of objects I can't see from home using better equipment.

Thanks.

There is also this company/person that is more active on IceinSpace.  They are also based in Aus I believe so would give you ask to objects you would never see in the northern hemisphere.  

Remote Imaging and Telescope Hosting — Astrophotography by Martin Pugh (MPC Q56) (martinpughastrophotography.space)

I thought there was another similar project that used Officina Stellare telescopes but can't seem to find them having a quick look so maybe they don't exist anymore.

If you are just after data to play with (and are less interested in the imagining side) then maybe ask around for anyone that might want to share data with someone that does have a remote set up.  It might not be 'professional' as the above options but a good relationship might give you more objects you wish to process (and the person with the equipment gets some support to the hosting costs).  In comparison a subscription model depends on how many people are subscribing to that 'scope.  If you mainly want to process galaxies but you join a nebula dominated group you might not get as many targets observed as you would like etc.

• Like 1