SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Moon shot

Just noticed this sub forum!

I had a play the other night with the moon (albeit) through some cloud haze with my 90mm refractor and a 25mm EP.

Struggled with positioning the camera (original iphone SE) on the eyepiece for a coherent shot and I think I need to find some program to control the cameras ISO settings rather than relying on autofocus as even with some Lightroom play on the phone its awfully noisey (tho it looks good on my phones screen at small resolutions) :)  

Any tips / comments welcome. 

IMG_5757.JPG

Edited by wibblefish
  • Like 2

Get a smartphone holder to fit the eyepiece and download a photography app that gives you full control of the camera.

The app that comes with the phone is usually pretty limited and won’t allow you to get good results. 

A cheap phone holder like this will work quite well. This model does work very well. This one has three cams that tighten to hold the eyepiece. There is a very similar looking cheaper version that just tightens a band that doesn't hold so well

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gosky-Telescope-Phone-Holder-Digiscoping/dp/B088WTY4BB/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=smartphone+holder+telescope&qid=1609854908&sr=8-7

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Get a smartphone holder to fit the eyepiece and download a photography app that gives you full control of the camera.

The app that comes with the phone is usually pretty limited and won’t allow you to get good results. 

A cheap phone holder like this will work quite well. This model does work very well. This one has three cams that tighten to hold the eyepiece. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gosky-Telescope-Phone-Holder-Digiscoping/dp/B088WTY4BB/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=smartphone+holder+telescope&qid=1609854908&sr=8-7

Ah thats a cool idea, I hadn't realised you could get holders like that, many thanks for the recommendation!

9 minutes ago, johninderby said:

There are better holders but of course more expensive. Also have this one.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/celestron-nexyz-3-axis-universal-smartphone-adapter.html

I think the cheaper model will definitely do for the odd dabble with the phone but good to see some options, many thanks :) 

Thats a great shot, I shall hope to get something nearer that the next time :D

Edited by wibblefish