Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Live viewing from 127 mak to MacBook help please

I think I put this question in the wrong forum  originally. Ok so here’s the dilemma. My 127 mak goto is on the patio, all set up with Wi-fi link to iPad for control etc. So currently I can sit in my garden office and move the telescope to where I want, go to the scope and view. Very handy as cold nights at the moment. Now, what I want to do is attach a live view camera to the scope and connect to my MacBook in the office, thus giving me live viewing etc. 

can someone please recommend the best solution based on the above, which hopefully makes sense. Thanks in advance. 

Hi Andrew

You might get more joy posting this in the EEVA section as what you describe is what many do (though not me, as I have a cabled connection to my scope). 

You don't mention possible camera options but it is worth thinking about this at an early stage as it will impact on what drivers and live capture software you can use. The choice for Macs is more limited than for Windows. 

cheers

Martin

You are not the first person to want to do this, but it may not be as easy as you imagine.

GoTo positioning is subject to some error in practice, so the error will need to be less than half the actual field of view of your camera sensor.

What kind of large sensor? Not all DSLRs will give you the continuous live view you will require. A dedicated astro camera with a large sensor will be very expensive.

How are you going to focus the camera? You will need a remote controlled motor focus or autofocus.