Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astrometry test through a moon halo

Hello,

So while testing out an old prime lens at the weekend (see other threads) I also pointed it in the general direction of Auriga & went away for 2 hours.  Here's a JPEG of what emerged (120 lights of 60s, calibrated & then ABE+HT).

The moon was very bright, there were passing high clouds, it was a cold night and there was a strong halo visible (are they called moon dogs?).  I guess that's what that ring is in the photo.

The stars themselves look pretty decent for an old 50mm (stopped down to f4)?  It really shows how sensitive these CMOS cameras are that they can capture that through these conditions.  I also thought I would test out astrometry.net to see if it could annotate the photo in spite of all the halo noise.  JPEG attached - it doesn't do too badly does it - although it missed M36, M37 & M38 (understandably given how the halo crosses them), I'm still pretty impressed by the ability of the software to do that!

Cheers,

Vin

Auriga_M36 M37 M38_Moon halo.jpg

Auriga_moon halo_astrometry screengrab.jpeg

• Like 3