Zwo filter wheel to ed80 reducer help please.

DougM43

Hi all,

hopefully some of you more knowledgeable astrophotography folk can help me out. On the rare occasions I can get out imaging I’ve been using an OSC camera, I’ve had a zwo 1600 mono and 1.25 filter wheel stashed away for about 18 months and would like to try and master it this winter but I cannot seem to find what I need to connected the camera filter wheel to my ed80 reducer.

I assume there must be stacks of people using this combination, what do I need to order to get the 55mm sensor to reducer distance ?
Everything I’ve read says the correct spacers are in the box, but alas they’re not.

Many thanks,

Doug.

935B7EA8-FEFA-4E7A-815C-FA642BBCF725.jpeg

Hi,

Firstly you will probably need more like 56 mm back focus as you have to account for the filters adding to the back focus. To be accurate you need to add 1/3 of the thickness of the filters, so if they are 3 mm thick then add 1mm to get 56 mm.

image.png.a557a9ec4f7ec4d9612ff743a223d25b.png

So most of the spacers should come with the camera and one with the FW. If you don't have them then you may have to source them somewhere. The FW will be 20 mm wide, the camera has 6.5 mm when coupled as in your image so you are needing 29.5mm of spacers. 

Are you missing all of these spacers or just some of them?

Steve

Edited by teoria_del_big_bang

Ok after turning out most of the draws in the dining room the kitchen and the living room I managed to find most of the spacers in a case reserved for things I’ve collected that don’t use or don’t know what is ( should have looked there first)

the only one I’ve not found is the T2 to T2 adapter (2mm) but I have found a 4mm one, so almost there, also in my searching I found a baader Varilock T2 extension which looks like it’s got it about perfect so thanks guys, going to get it all set up now with an asi air so I expect I’ll be back with more questions,

thanks again.

Doug.

Steve, you posted just as I was, I’ve just checked and I have 49.44mm from camera to reducer, so pretty close,

thank you both.

E69F85D4-6D40-4487-8C83-9EFFD345A559.jpeg

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

I am going to add 2" filter wheel to similar setup but with DSLR. What about placing it between ff/r and focuser? Hopefully posting in here is a good idea rather than starting new thread, if not my apologies. 

Cheers,

Raf