Using a DSLR

Amoret

As someone that is about to start into the world of astrophotography I have a Nikon DSLR which I no longer use (D300) and am thinking that I can use this with an intervalometer etc but the reservation I have is that the mirror action is quite heavy as indeed is the camera. Will vibration be induced into the telescope ( reflector) and cause imaging problems? I appreciate that people use DSLRs so perhaps I am worrying unnecessarily.

Unfortunately the D300 does not have live view, as far as I know , which is a very useful feature, it locks the mirror up and shows the viewfinder image on the screen. zooming in on that live view makes it much easier to focus accurately when autofocus is problematic. 

Have a play around, and see if any of the delayed shutter release options actually flip the mirror up at the start of the delay period, it might be enough to let the camera settle.

I believe the 3300 (which I have) was the first model in the D3 line to have LV (easily accessed by a button on the back of the camera marked ...  LV)

Heather

40 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

(D300 has LiveView)

If you're taking long exposures on dim DSO's then that initial shutter shake probably won't register.

But if you're taking short exposures then mirror lockup is best.

Michael

Ah, my mistake,sorry  : I searched online to back up my vague memory (of why ( bought a D3300 rather than any other D3xx model) and a certain , wildly opinionated reviewer who is usually good with the practical hands on features of Nikons said

"Thank goodness the D3000 has no video mode or Live View."

I'd link to the review, but it might upset the O.P. , it is not kind to the camera ! That particular reviewer seems keen to provoke controversy, perhaps to drive views of his site, but as I said, he is usually good on the practicalities. Perhaps he meant to say there is no LV button on the back of the camera ? Whatever, I was wrong . Mea Culpa.

Heather