NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Instructions needed for making a 12v hub

bendiddley

I'm looking to start running my rig from a maplins 12v powerbench but need to make a hub to connect all my kit to. I don't have loads of kit so only needs to be fairly basic. I have my NEQ6, CCD camera and light panel. My netbook is 19v so I will just have to make sure that's charged each time I guess. I want to get a small APO at some point so it will need to be able to have support for powering a dew heater strip at some point too. Does anyone know of a guide that would have instructions on how to make a hub like this?

It is not all that complex if you can solder.

An ABS project box is ideal as it is non conductive and easy to drill.

I would go to the effort of inline fuses for each output.

The input +'ve wire will split spider like to one side of every fuse.

The output side of each fuse will go to the +'ve side of each seperate output socket .

The input -ve is split like a spider to all the -ve sides of the output sockets.

Adding led monitoring for each output (to show if fuse has blown) only complicates things and creates unwanted light pollution. Though a very dim LED can be used for this.

To "spider"  the cables you can either solder and heatshrink cables together or use commoning connector blocks.

Sockets are best placed on the side of the box.

If all this sounds like too much perhaps there is someone you know who is an electronics hobbiest who can help you.

Screenshot_20201227-184118_Samsung Internet.jpg

I've made a couple, and also bought some.  If it were me in your position I'd consider one of these

HitecAstro four-channel, four-port Dew Controller | First Light Optics

It will handle the mount and the CCD camera, and you could just plug in the flats panel when you need it.  Otherwise you could buy a small 2.1mm splitter cable *click* to allow you to connect the light panel and mount to the same 12v outlet -  you wont be using the light panel at the same time as the mount, but the light panel will draw very little current anyway.  The above panel also caters for dew heaters too.  By the time you buy up the components and spent time doing this, for £74 (and often for sale second hand at around £45) I dont think it's worth it.  Plus it comes fused as well in the cigarette lighter plug attachment.  I removed this though and have fitted an inline fuse holder (a couple of quid) and have it wired directly to a power supply.

2 hours ago, fifeskies said:

It is not all that complex if you can solder.

An ABS project box is ideal as it is non conductive and easy to drill.

I would go to the effort of inline fuses for each output.

The input +'ve wire will split spider like to one side of every fuse.

The output side of each fuse will go to the +'ve side of each seperate output socket .

The input -ve is split like a spider to all the -ve sides of the output sockets.

Adding led monitoring for each output (to show if fuse has blown) only complicates things and creates unwanted light pollution. Though a very dim LED can be used for this.

To "spider"  the cables you can either solder and heatshrink cables together or use commoning connector blocks.

Sockets are best placed on the side of the box.

If all this sounds like too much perhaps there is someone you know who is an electronics hobbiest who can help you.

Screenshot_20201227-184118_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thanks. Yes I am to electronics what Simon cowell is to ballet 😂. Well maybe not that bad lol. I like the idea of a project like this but I don't know how to solder (yet), I can always learn though. Thanks for the explanations. Gives me something to think on.

10 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I've made a couple, and also bought some.  If it were me in your position I'd consider one of these

HitecAstro four-channel, four-port Dew Controller | First Light Optics

It will handle the mount and the CCD camera, and you could just plug in the flats panel when you need it.  Otherwise you could buy a small 2.1mm splitter cable *click* to allow you to connect the light panel and mount to the same 12v outlet -  you wont be using the light panel at the same time as the mount, but the light panel will draw very little current anyway.  The above panel also caters for dew heaters too.  By the time you buy up the components and spent time doing this, for £74 (and often for sale second hand at around £45) I dont think it's worth it.  Plus it comes fused as well in the cigarette lighter plug attachment.  I removed this though and have fitted an inline fuse holder (a couple of quid) and have it wired directly to a power supply.

Cheers. Interesting solution. I think I would do the same as you if I went for something like this as I was trying to get away from using a cigarette plug. How would the knobs affect things, if I accidentally knocked one, I assume it could turn the mount/camera off?

13 minutes ago, bendiddley said:

Cheers. Interesting solution. I think I would do the same as you if I went for something like this as I was trying to get away from using a cigarette plug. How would the knobs affect things, if I accidentally knocked one, I assume it could turn the mount/camera off?

The knobs control the dew heaters (although i have a fan connected to one to control speed for mirror cooling). The 12v outputs are always live. 

Edited by tooth_dr