NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Excessive glow with Quark

Luke

Hi folks,

My wife's Quark had not been used for a few years, we started using it again a few months ago and since then we are getting excessive glow through the eyepiece. It definitely was not like this before, in the same setups.

We use the recommended Tele Vue Plössls (40 and 32) and I also tried a Delos 17.3. I have tried the Quark in two completely different scopes and diagonals. I have cleaned all surfaces.

The glow is so excessive and drowns out proms, and we can't see much detail on the disk either. Spots are faint. I think tuning is okay, it is on what it was before, but I will try other settings when I get a chance. There is a small area where it is not as faint and details look okay in that area, which makes me think tuning may be fine.

One odd thing that might be a clue: if we catch the eyepiece at a certain angle, the glow mostly goes away and we can see the proms. But we can manage this only briefly. We are used to these eyepieces for h alpha.

Our other Quark (my one) has no such problems. I tested it with the same setups and during the same session. Seeing today was decent here, nice blue sky and I don't think there was much thin cloud about.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Luke

Edited by Luke