NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron 127mak tripod upgrade help

18 hours ago, Andrew stuart said:

Evening all, I want to get a sturdier tripod for my 127 SLT. Can anyone offer recommendations that will let me just drop the Goto mount onto please. Thanks. 

I don’t have the Celestron Mak but I used to have the Skywatcher model. If you bought the Skywatcher 3/8” stainless steel tripod you will find it a lot more stable. If your attaching screw is 1/4” you could get an adapter to make it fit.

• Like 1

The 127Mak is a great little scope. I like mine but the failings with the SLT are, in my opinion, in the mount not the tripod. 

It's a scope very much worth an upgrade but that includes the mount! My recommendation would be good second hand NEQ5 but I guess that isn't what you were hoping to hear. Sorry!

4 minutes ago, Paul M said:

My recommendation would be good second hand NEQ5

That would be good if you need a heavy mount for something else but overkill for a Mak that weighs about 4Kg. 

Most of the wobble in a SLT mount is down to the tripod so upgrading that rather than the whole GoTo mount is a sensible upgrade.