NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Possible to mount a DSLR on a refractor using an eyepiece?

bdark

I want to say thanks in advance to anyone that can help answer my question. I just recently purchased an ED80 refractor scope, and was amazed at the views I was able to get last night. Unfortunately, I was able to capture the event on an iPhone 11, which was pretty good actually, but have not be able to get focused using my DSLR, and a 9mm eyepiece at the same time. I've tried various combinations of extension rings - with and without the diagonal. I've watched a YouTube video showing the setup on a Newtonian, and have purchased all the adapters that should make it work. Has anyone had any success with this kind of setup? Thanks!!!

Hi bdark,

I wanted to try that when i bought my first scope (also an ED80), I ended up buying a Baader Hyperion eyepiece, these eyepieces have a thread under the rubber cup, with the use of a T-ring for your DSLR the eyepieces simply screw in to the camera and can be used as normal.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MARS1960 said:

Hi bdark,

I wanted to try that when i bought my first scope (also an ED80), I ended up buying a Baader Hyperion eyepiece, these eyepieces have a thread under the rubber cup, with the use of a T-ring for your DSLR the eyepieces simply screw in to the camera and can be used as normal.

Yes that's the way to go for eye piece projection. I have one of those eyepieces (10mm I believe). I have only just tried getting focus with it connected to a DSLR (which it did). I have not tried imaging with it as this thread has just reminded me I actually have that eye piece!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chefgage said:

Yes that's the way to go for eye piece projection. I have one of those eyepieces (10mm I believe). I have only just tried getting focus with it connected to a DSLR (which it did). I have not tried imaging with it as this thread has just reminded me I actually have that eye piece!

Hi,

I posted this lunar shot yesterday, the only reason i used a lens was because I sold all my gear, but over the last month have started up again but don't have an M43 T-ring.

I was quite impressed with the results, removing the cheap diagonal would probably have improved things a tad.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/368692-1st-afocal-moon/

• Like 1

I will be looking forward to see how you get on as that telescope is on my future wish list. I have the Hyperion zoom and it works well, given clear skies with my telescope, but I understand that the Baader Hyperion Aspheric also has the adapter thread. The aspheric has a much wider FOV so may work better with your telescope. Have a look at the First Light Optics FOV calculator to see how they compare. 

Just noticed on the FLO webpage for the Aspheric, they show your telescope with the eyepiece for a comparison. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-hyperion-aspheric.html

Enjoy

Edited by M40
add a link
  • Like 1

Eyepiece projection is a bit of an odd duck -- usually much better (albeit lower-magnification) results can be achieved at prime focus, basically using the telescope as a big telephoto lens without the additional magnification that an eyepiece provides. Though if you're imaging something super-bright like planets, you might get away with it.

If you want to see where the prime focus point it, point the scope at something bright (NOT THE SUN!) in the daytime, and hold up a piece of paper behind it, moving it back and forth till you see a sharp image. You can do the same thing with your camera, with the lens dismounted and Live View switched on, of course, but a sheet of paper won't need expensive repairs if you bash it into the back of the scope while you're waving it back and forth.

Most refractors will do prime focus with nothing but a T-adapter and a nosepiece to fit where the eyepiece normally goes; some might need extender tubes. It gets more complicated, of course (field flatteners, flattener/reducers, etc.) but that's the gist.