NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stacking images from different sensor sizes

smr

Hi,

Just wondering if it's possible to stack data from different sensor sizes. I've got about 10 hours of data from a Canon 80D on the HH and 4 hours from the 600D, wondering if there's a way to combine them as, in DSS, it says incompatible due to their size difference, the 600D being 5202x3465 and the 80D being 6022x4020.

There is software out there that will accept different image sizes, scalings, orientations and distortions and attempt to stack them. As a start I would stack each set individually. If they have the same image scale then crop them to the same size and stack, but I suspect that with different cameras with different pixel sizes, the image scales will be slightly different so I guess DSS would still fail to stack them (I could be wrong!). The only free software that I know of that can do it is the really old IRIS but I must admit I'm not up to speed with the latest developments so their may be other better freebies available these days.

1 hour ago, Seelive said:

There is software out there that will accept different image sizes, scalings, orientations and distortions and attempt to stack them. As a start I would stack each set individually. If they have the same image scale then crop them to the same size and stack, but I suspect that with different cameras with different pixel sizes, the image scales will be slightly different so I guess DSS would still fail to stack them (I could be wrong!). The only free software that I know of that can do it is the really old IRIS but I must admit I'm not up to speed with the latest developments so their may be other better freebies available these days.

Thanks. Yes I'm pretty sure DSS won't stack them and it's going to be too much effort to crop every single 80D image to the same size as the 600Ds. Would be good if anyone can recommend a stacking program that'll do it.

1 hour ago, smr said:

Thanks. Yes I'm pretty sure DSS won't stack them and it's going to be too much effort to crop every single 80D image to the same size as the 600Ds. Would be good if anyone can recommend a stacking program that'll do it.

I wasn't suggesting cropping each 80D image, stack all the 80D images and all the 600D images separately to get 2 images. Crop the resulting single stacked 80D image and then stack with the single stacked 600D image.