NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice for photographing Jupiter/Saturn conjunction.

Andrew stuart

So, looking forward to the event but just need some imaging advice. I have a Celestron 127 Nexstar SLT and a Canon 450d with relevant adaptors for scope. Firstly is it best to have the camera on the diagonal or remove diagonal and attach camera direct to scope ? Any advice helpful please. Thanks. 

37 minutes ago, Andrew stuart said:

So, looking forward to the event but just need some imaging advice. I have a Celestron 127 Nexstar SLT and a Canon 450d with relevant adaptors for scope. Firstly is it best to have the camera on the diagonal or remove diagonal and attach camera direct to scope ? Any advice helpful please. Thanks. 

Fingers crossed we get some clear skies!

It’s best without the diagonal, assuming the camera will reach focus still. Make have quite a lot of focus range so you should be ok. Give it a try as soon as you can to check!

• Like 1

On the 21st it doesn't get dark until about 1800, Jupiter will only be about 10 degrees above the horizon in the SW, and it sets at about 1900.

Are you sure you'll be able to see Jupiter/Saturn from your location ?

At my Wiltshire location I'll be fighting with trees, I may well start at sunset, about 1700,

8 hours ago, michael8554 said:

On the 21st it doesn't get dark until about 1800, Jupiter will only be about 10 degrees above the horizon in the SW, and it sets at about 1900.

Are you sure you'll be able to see Jupiter/Saturn from your location ?

At my Wiltshire location I'll be fighting with trees, I may well start at sunset, about 1700,

I would try as early as possible; try to pick them up before sunset if at all possible; Jupiter is pretty bright so if you can find it you will be able to pick up Saturn too.