In Praise of NINA’s Flats Wizard

tomato

Not sure how other folks have found this tool, but I really like it. You just put the panel over the end of the scope, set the light output to “dim”, tell NINA how many flats and flatdarks you want and then let it crack on.

I haven’t done a scientific analysis but the resulting frames seem to do a good job, certainly on my OSC  camera.

33 minutes ago, tomato said:

Not sure how other folks have found this tool, but I really like it. You just put the panel over the end of the scope, set the light output to “dim”, tell NINA how many flats and flatdarks you want and then let it crack on.

I haven’t done a scientific analysis but the resulting frames seem to do a good job, certainly on my OSC  camera.

I've used similar on APT and SGPro, where it works out the correct exposure based on the camera/scope/light panel combination.

Is this different?  How does it turn off the panel for the darkflats?

Apologies, you do have to switch off the panel for the darks, at least in my setup. I guess the other packages have something similar, but this is my first foray into letting software  work out the exposure time rather than doing it manually, so I suppose NINA is not any different to the other packages.

I'm just a bit late to the party.

Just now, tomato said:

Apologies, you do have to switch off the panel for the darks, at least in my setup. I guess the other packages have something similar, but this is my first foray into letting software  work out the exposure time rather than doing it manually, so I suppose NINA is not any different to the other packages.

I'm just a bit late to the party.

No worries, was just curious in case it was different.  I find SGPro and APT both work perfectly, so when I switch to NINA, it's nice to know that it also delivers.