NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Why I prefer simple setups ......

John

Finding the StellaLyra CC6 on a Berlebach report tripod and Manfrotto 405 geared head makes for a very convieient grab’n’go setup that can easily be carried outside fully set up. Of course with the diabolical weather lately hasn’t seen much use. 🤬

BBEE1787-6826-49D6-AB61-4E7863B9BD39.jpeg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/12/2020 at 06:12, John said:

I wish I had room. My other half has a greenhouse which takes up the space that an observatory ought to be sat in. If we move somewhere one day with a longer garden then a proper dome will be an early addition.

In fact, all you really need is a patch not much larger than your Dob's footprint. Just pour a 3-4m tall pier, follow any tree house plans to build the wider floor around it at the top, add a folding attic ladder, and finally that plastic dome on the top. Just make sure it's on the North from the green hose :)

To stay on topic: 
The most simple telescope setup I ever had is the "ball scope". My travel mount for it (I have ES Astroscan) is a trivial 18mm plywood ring. There are lightweight designs of them in decent sizes as well. E.g.: Pierre Lemay 8" (on an elaborate tracking platform here):

post-38807-0-13350400-1470669239.jpg

• Like 2