Mains 240v to 12DC converter

astro mick

Hi Guys.

My new ZWO cmos needs a mains 240v ac to 12v dc converter to  operate the cooler.I ordered from a well known distributer which i thought was the correct one.

On its arrival i noticed the mains input is just a 2 way female plug,which i assume is +/-.

My question is will this be ok,or does it need an earth.

Could it damage the camera.

Cheers.

Mick.

most modern switch-mode PSU's are only using the 2 pins (L&N) and are "double insulated" so don't need to be earthed. Sadly tho you'll need a 2-pin socket to UK 3-pin plug in order to use it, a shaver plug perhaps or a proper continental adaptor if it's the german or swiss type which are different. Downside here is you have the potential to make contact with the pins as you plug/unplug. Better would be to return it and order one with a UK plug.

51 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

most modern switch-mode PSU's are only using the 2 pins (L&N) and are "double insulated" so don't need to be earthed. Sadly tho you'll need a 2-pin socket to UK 3-pin plug in order to use it, a shaver plug perhaps or a proper continental adaptor if it's the german or swiss type which are different. Downside here is you have the potential to make contact with the pins as you plug/unplug. Better would be to return it and order one with a UK plug.

Hi Dave.

It has the UK 3pin plug,so should be ok.

Mick.

A lot of AC/DC converters are not supplied with a main leads, so you need to buy it separately (it means that a single model of converter can be used virtually anywhere in the world). You just need to ensure you get a cable with the correct PSU connector on one end and a local mains plug on the other. The PSU instructions should tell you what the input connector is but if it's 2 pin then it's likely to be an IEC 60320 C8.

As DaveL59 said, an earth is not required because of its design and specified usage.  However, most are designed to be used indoors with non-condensating humidity. If it's used outside and gets dripping wet with humidity and it's not sufficiently environmentally sealed then all bets are off.

24 minutes ago, astro mick said:

Hi Dave.

It has the UK 3pin plug,so should be ok.

Mick.

ahh ok, so there's a mains lead that plugs into it with a figure-8 plug/socket arrangement. As said above, using outdoors you'd need to take into account condensation as the mains connector probably won't be weather sealed. Perhaps while running it'll be fine while it's warm but safety is a consideration around mains in outdoor use.

1 hour ago, Seelive said:

However, most are designed to be used indoors with non-condensating humidity. If it's used outside and gets dripping wet with humidity and it's not sufficiently environmentally sealed then all bets are off.

To prevent that, I always had mine in a plastic container with lid. Cut two slots on opposite sides for the cables.