M31

Rodd

I simply HAD to reprocess this data....again.  Previous attempts were deplorable for numerous reasons...and there were a lot of attempts.  Suddenly, I had a V8 moment (metaphorically) and everything changed.  I am now pleased with the outcome.  The issues remaining are difficult to correct without reducing overall image quality.  Fortunately I was able to retain the inner core structures while removing the inner core processing artifacts.  And I finally got the palette fixed.

FSQ 106 with .6x reducer and ASI 1600.  

Red: 110 30 sec
Green: 100 30 sec
Blue: 128 30 sec
Lum: 120 30 sec
Lum: 204 60 sec
Ha: 37 5min

X.thumb.jpg.092b84ac30a45bc73e706983588aec9b.jpg

• Like 19

I really like how you managed your background - it is very natural looking. This for example shows it nicely:

image.png.d15a00e4f5b69016fe4fd7e828832b07.png

That faint background galaxy is by no means distorted (as usually ends up being - if one over does denoising). I like the fact that there is very subtle grain in the background as well.

I just wonder, why is there so much blue bloat in the image? If you show this crop to someone, asking them what type of scope was used to get this image:

image.png.0d922ee1247cb882fb90aed4f7a16fcc.png

I'm sort of afraid that most answers will be - achromatic refractor?

It is of course not due to scope, but I think it is down to filters perhaps?

image.png.cecbc701142f58035d9d2ca903d482f9.png

This crop is rather telling in that regard - blue halo looks like a huge reflection.

4 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

why is there so much blue bloat in the image?

I don't know.  Could be I was over aggressive in my stretch.  Could be the blue channel was shot during hazy conditions or low in the sky, could be the scope was slightly out of collimation (since been fixed), could be a slight distance issue with sensor (being fixed), might have something to do with f3(?), could be poor focus in blue channel due to very bad conditions, perhaps higher FWHM values due to seeing, or, it could be due to the ASI 1600 sensor and uncoated sensor window.  Its an Astrodon filter so hard to believe its due to the filter itself.  If I am not mistaken, the star you cropped is the biggest, brightest star in the image.  The ASI 1600 has trouble with bright stars.  This version is infinitely better than previous attempts with respect to this star.

Other than these possibilities I have no clue.  I have noticed that blue always is interior to the other channels with respect to the stars in any scope I use.  I have had a world of trouble getting help with a simple thing like sensor distance.  If I ask about this halo, the vendor will fire ME!  So in short--I have no idea where to start trying to get to the bottom of blue halos.  If you note--there ar no blue halos arwound teh stars of the faint galaxy--so they are not everywhere.  Maybe slight tilt?  

3 minutes ago, Rodd said:

I don't know.  Could be I was over aggressive in my stretch.  Could be the blue channel was shot during hazy conditions or low in the sky, could be the scope was slightly out of collimation (since been fixed), could be a slight distance issue with sensor (being fixed), might have something to do with f3(?), could be poor focus in blue channel due to very bad conditions, perhaps higher FWHM values due to seeing, or, it could be due to the ASI 1600 sensor and uncoated sensor window.  Its an Astrodon filter so hard to believe its due to the filter itself.  If I am not mistaken, the star you cropped is the biggest, brightest star in the image.  The ASI 1600 has trouble with bright stars.  This version is infinitely better than previous attempts with respect to this star.

Other than these possibilities I have no clue.  I have noticed that blue always is interior to the other channels with respect to the stars in any scope I use.  I have had a world of trouble getting help with a simple thing like sensor distance.  If I ask about this halo, the vendor will fire ME!  So in short--I have no idea where to start trying to get to the bottom of blue halos.  If you note--there ar no blue halos arwound teh stars of the faint galaxy--so they are not everywhere.  Maybe slight tilt?  

Most of the things you listed could be the cause of blue bloat. Possibly weather conditions could be the worst offenders - hazy skies.

I doubt it is due to tilt. Fact that some stars have it and some don't is likely related to stellar class if anything - hot bluish stars emit much more light in blue/UV part of the spectrum.

That big star is particularly nasty - here it just outside of the frame causing havoc :D - also very hazy conditions.

image.png.0be44116112afa86685ca51eb070c4ea.png