Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cheap camera choice for beginner to use with 4SE

SpaceDave

Hello!

I was looking to try some astrophotography with my Celestron 4SE. I know the 4SE is a poor scope for photography (for many reasons), but I am not expecting great results. Just a bit of fun. Maybe a photo of the Moon and Saturn, for example. I was thinking of buying a used DSLR for under £200, or maybe a solar system imager. I also have an iPhone. I've seen a couple of recommendations to get a used Canon 550D or Canon 1100D, although these may be out of date.

Is anyone able to advise me on a camera, or type of camera, or whether I'm better off getting a mount for my iPhone 8?

Anyway, any advice would be great. Thanks.

Hi

If looking at the Moon for example then short video clips can be used and processed in registax, for this a dslr with video crop mode like the 550d might be useful. 

Under resources on this site have a look at the astronomy tool in imaging mode with what you have and what you are thinking of to see the effect (though not sure if the tool allows for video crop mode). The 600d has an articulated screen which I think is useful but I don't know if it has video crop mode. An astro camera I've only used on the Moon as the one I have is not suitable for DSO so can't comment there. Do you have a webcam knocking around already that you could use perhaps, with some diy.

You mount moves in tiny left right up down movements which keeps the target in the field of view but doesn't follow rotation and this limits long exposure length. Long focal lengths place more demands on a mount and blips in tracking can show more easily. Many frames and processing weeds out the weaker captures.

This thread shows members do image DSO with what they have but are working within a tracking altaz mount's capability. You might need to search the thread for examples using the 4SE mount (same mount as the 5SE I gather) for DSO examples.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/228101-the-no-eq-dso-challenge