NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can you use Pixinsight for Exoplanet transits

Ive found the aperature photometry script in Pixinsight..... Seems that it might work for exoplanet transits, unless Im missing something?  I ran through my data from the other night, not that I was expecting to get an exoplanet transit, just to see if it worked!  So I basically just added the images and let it rip!  10 mins later I have a nice csv with the star flux, I then opened this in OpenOffice and graphed the flux - as can be seen below, all the stars follow the same curve, which I would expect, since there was not transit - do you think this method would work for a real transit?

image.thumb.png.70d607aa1af04a5fc9096dedbdb9d360.png

Blinky I'd be interested in finding the answer to that but on first inspection I wonder why not following calibration etc.  I've been thinking for some time to try some photometry work myself.  As well as Andrew's link to Brit Astronomical Association I wonder if you caught this by Matt Baker ( he posted on SGL the other day) - his site has a useful intro guide to transit data capture and processing.  Can I ask , possibly silly question, but what are the multiple lines , at first i thought colour channel but too many for that !  Is it repeated data runs against the same target ?

Jim 

https://www.mattsastro.co.uk/post/photographing-exoplanet-transits

I must admit, I dont know what Im doing having more or less just accepted the defaults and not really having any idea what aperture photometry actually is, other than reading a little on wikipedia!  The multiple lines are the intensities of individual stars (I think!) - my thinking was that if there was a transit, then one line would dip lower than the others for the duration of the transit.  I may be totally wrong here as I say, I really have no idea what Im doing!  AstroimageJ just looked too complicated and I wondered if Pixinsight could be used instead.....

• Like 1

From what I gather, it adds up the values from all the pixels inside the boxes and subtracts the background to get the stars flux or brightness - my thinking is that the ratio of this to other stars should remain constant except if there is a transit and at this point one of the stars brightness will drip, which would show up on the graph of all stars.  I may be wrong here and probably am!  I also realise that Ha data of stars inside a nebula does not make for a good target but its all the data I had to hand!

image.png