Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting started with kstars and Ekos

I'm trying to get started with my NEQ6 and using my linux-based laptop. I'm wondering if anyone has experience using Ekos, specifically for polar alignment? I made my first try yesterday but didn't know I needed to install the index files myself and using the online solver was quite slow. So the clouds had time to roll in.  I'd like to be more prepared for next time. So I've done some experimenting with the simulator that comes with and feel quite comfortable with everything but the PA as that seems to be correct from the start in the simulator.

So does anyone have experience with it? From what I saw yesterday it seems to do an initial evaluation if you just hit start and gives you a vector to correct. But I never really had time to try correcting. Can it do a live loop and show the progress or do you start over with the procedure?

Hi. Yes, you roughly polar align and then it goes through a sequence to work out where you're really pointing. It then does indeed give you a vector. Pick a bright star, and the vector moves to that star. Then you adjust with live looping, until star is in the crosshairs 

Oh yes, top tip - the vector stays the same length - it doesn't shrink as you get closer to aligned

Edited by Kryptic

1 hour ago, Kryptic said:

Hi. Yes, you roughly polar align and then it goes through a sequence to work out where you're really pointing. It then does indeed give you a vector. Pick a bright star, and the vector moves to that star. Then you adjust with live looping, until star is in the crosshairs 

Oh yes, top tip - the vector stays the same length - it doesn't shrink as you get closer to aligned

But is there a crosshair or something that I should put on the star or how do I know that I'm on target after a correction?

1 hour ago, Kryptic said:

Yes, you can just see the target crosshair in this video at this point 

Fantastic, thank you so much. Then I was pretty close to finishing my polar alignment when the clouds rolled in. Bit of a shame. But then it should be pretty good on the next try.

• Like 1