Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Battery/powertank help please!

I have a serious case of analysis paralysis on which battery/powerbank to get for my skywatcher 300p dobsonian. Electric circuits, cables etc go right over my head so I’m struggling to know which one is best and how it would connect to the mount. 

I’d like it to be:

- Small and light enough to sit on the base of the mount, so I don’t have to constantly move it when the scope moves in Azimuth.

- Waterproof? I imagine dew on a bare battery is asking for trouble.

- Cheap as possible (obviously)... I will only be powering the mount so I imagine anything over 10Ah is fine? I really don’t want to spend £100+

In my search I found this one which is prime candidate right now, would anyone be so kind to follow the link and let me know if it would work or if it’s useless? If it is okay, is there anything else I’d need to get to connect it to the mount? If not, what would you suggest?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08BZ6QJ57/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pd_rd_i=B08BZ6QJ57p13NParams

I’ve read that if you use a battery with the wrong specs, it can fry the goto system and I don’t trust my opinion given I don’t fully understand.

please help, cheers!

Ben

Edited by BS269

12 minutes ago, BS269 said:

Ahh not good. I’m tempted to get the skywatcher 7/17Ah powerbank and be done with it but I’ve heard you can get far more for your money.

It's a bit of a minefield - what with cheap junk readily available online and the high cost of the devices that have a good reputation e.g. Jackery 
Sorry I can't make a recommendation - I built my own using a caravan battery.

32 minutes ago, Kryptic said:

It's a bit of a minefield - what with cheap junk readily available online and the high cost of the devices that have a good reputation e.g. Jackery 
Sorry I can't make a recommendation - I built my own using a caravan battery.

Ahh okay no worries, thank you for your help anyways!

My NE6 was supplied with a 12v car auxiliary jack, so crocodile clips to a female auxiliary connected to the 12v battery, unless I am missing something. I use a 240v to 12v 3amp ( I think it;s 3 amp) transformer that used to charge AA type batteries, it has worked fine for me since March, I will add the high voltage is in the shed and only low voltage outside.

28 minutes ago, Nicola Hannah Butterfield said:

My NE6 was supplied with a 12v car auxiliary jack, so crocodile clips to a female auxiliary connected to the 12v battery, unless I am missing something. I use a 240v to 12v 3amp ( I think it;s 3 amp) transformer that used to charge AA type batteries, it has worked fine for me since March, I will add the high voltage is in the shed and only low voltage outside.

If I’ve read this right, then you use your car to power it? I don’t really want to use my car tbh, not sure why I just don’t like the sound of it. Thanks!

38 minutes ago, BS269 said:

Also came across this one, any opinions? 

The thing with these unknown brands on Amazon (which is flooded with them these days), is that you've no idea if the product will live up to the claims. Whilst I've had some good stuff, I've also had some lemons. Personally, without a goodly number of customer reviews (and yes, there are plenty of fake reviews too), it'd have to be money I was willing to write off.
Caveat emptor. 

At least you can return to Amazon easily enough - unlike, say, Aliexpress, where you're typically shipping back to China

Edited by Kryptic