Explore Scientific 12 mm 92° EP first light

I have just managed to grab a gap in the clouds to have a quick look at the Pleiades, the Double Cluster, and Mars with the new Explore Scientific 12 mm 92° eyepiece, using my APM 80 mm F/6 triplet. At 40x, and with the full 2.3° true field of view, the Pleiades were nicely framed, and the stars were really sharp across the field. Finding the correct eye position was a bit tricky at first, but I found that folding the rubber eye cup up helped a lot, and kept out stray light well. The Double Cluster also looked great, again with pin sharp stars across the field. On Mars, little detail could be seen on the disc at 40x, but the main aim was to spot glare and internal reflections. None were found. I had to cut the session short, but I am very pleased with the first impressions. 

IMG_20201119_201642.thumb.jpg.f38b07b805429a467a7435b259849fe3.jpgIMG_20201119_201738.thumb.jpg.92c2670f5856e8e86275a3ae18350d6e.jpg

• Like 6