NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How to set wedge

New member and new to astro here. I live in the uk midlands... 52 deg north.

Probably a stupid question .. I have searched the web but cannot find the answer.

When adjusting my wedge do I use the Red angle ( 52 deg from horizontal) or the Blue angle ( 52 deg from vertical).

915118962_wedgedeg.jpg.6c257493f2714230e98176c177b00ee4.jpg

You want to point to the pole.  At the equator, that would be horizontal.  At 52 degrees north, that would be 52 degrees from the horizontal.

Tony

________

PS: not a stupid question at all.

Edited by AKB
  • Like 1

So its the red one , the scale should (nominally) read the same as your latitude.

I am 56 North so my scale reads 56

If you use a Polar align utility (like Sharpcap) , this will help you make the final fine adjustments to get it set perfectly.

The scales are sometimes a bit rough and can read a few degrees out sometimes.

Make sure the mount tripod or pier is set level before you add the head, a spirit level helps.

Edited by fifeskies
  • Like 1

Thanks Guys tripod has spirit level but I also have a 25cm spirit level I can use, also I have downloaded an ap for my android phone that shows angles to 1 decimal place e.g 52.4 deg ... so may use that also.

Are the polar align utilities free (Aps or window download ) and any suggestions would be greatly received.

Paul

Very accurate Polar Align is only needed for astrophotography, though for visual don't neglect it , just don't waste time tweaking it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.RapidoDroid.synscaninit2&hl=en_US&gl=US

this app is handy if you have a polarscope and is free   , mostly useful for skywatcher mounts

the tiny bubble level in the mount may not be true level depends it it is fitted properly , a short external spirit level is good to confirm level.

(it would help to know what telescope and what mount you have , these can be added into your digital signature and show below your posted messages)

Edited by fifeskies
  • Like 1

what refractor to buy

I love my Equinox 80ED , gives great results, no longer available new.

It is very similar to the Evostar 80ED pro, the 72ED pro would be a good choice too and probably a better match for the AZ GTI being slightly lighter.

I use a field flattener/reducer that screws into the DSLR body , this then fits into the 80ED body.

Small imaging refractors like these are often for sale on the forum  (I got my Equinox 2nd hand).

North America Nebula from my ED80 with DSLR

North America Nebula 5 nov 2020_TUT-vert_40_micro.jpg

Edited by fifeskies