Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting ready to do Polar alignment.

Hi folks.

I have a Skywatcher Star Adventurer and think I'm getting on all right but just want to make sure of the correct procedure for polar alignment.

Should I always start with the Date Graduation Circle, Time Graduation Circle and Time Meridian Indicator aligned as shown on pages 22/23 of the manual ie:

Align October 31st to "0" on the Time Graduation Circle.

Release clutch and rotate the eyepiece/mount to align Time Meridian indicator to "0" on the Time Meridian Circle. Lock eyepiece/mount. This should put the graticule "0" at the top.

Then I go through the actual alignment, I use a laser through the scope to pinpoint the star and it works a treat! Then move mount to put Polaris where indicated by the Polar Scope Align App on my phone.

Turn on the mount.

If you are using the app to show you where Polaris is then you do not need to bother with the date graduation circle. Using an app to show you where Polaris is on the polar scope is the easiest way to it.

Using the date graduation circle/setting is only used if you cannot use an app to show you where Polaris should be.

Edited by Chefgage
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, cheddar-man said:

Many thanks Chefgage. The only thing is that the graticule will not always be aligned "0" at the top, or will it? Does that matter, or do you just put Polaris relative to the "0"?

To start with I put the clock face correct so 6 at the bottom. This is only so it helps when showing where Polaris is relative to the position on the app. When you move the scope/camera to your target this clock face will obviously move. But Polaris will still be physically in the same position. 

So if the app shows Polaris say at the 9 o'clock position then that's where it needs to be, i.e. to the middle right. Regardless of where the clock face is rotated to.

This is because as you move the scope around this turns the clock face. When polar aligning you are aligning the mount not where the scope is pointed.

Which app are you using? I use the star adventurer mini console app

Screenshot_20201110-075438.jpg

Edited by Chefgage

Thanks Chefgage, understood as:  Doesn't matter what the orientation of the graticule is, one should alway adjust the mount to put Polaris position relative to "0".

By the way, I think you have a typo in your statement "So if the app shows Polaris say at the 9 o'clock position then that's where it needs to be, i.e. to the middle right. Regardless of where the clock face is rotated to." 

9 o'clock is middle LEFT, not middle right 😁😁 In your pictorial example Polaris is at 01:50 😎

No, not relative to 0. The clock is just an easy way of orienting since 0 o'clock is up and 6 o'clock is down. The clock should always be oriented 0 up, 6 down if you use the hour angle you get from the app or other. 

In the pictorial example. Lets say you twist the clock one way or the other. Polaris should not move, only the clock. So if you twist the clock 90deg to the right, then "0" would be 90 degree to the right (where 3 o'clock usually is).  Then the correct position of Polaris would be at 10:50. Even if the app says 01:50. The app takes in consideration that 0 is up and 6 is down.

So to make it easy for yourself: 0 up, and 6 down. Always.

Edited by masjstovel

3 hours ago, cheddar-man said:

Thanks Chefgage, understood as:  Doesn't matter what the orientation of the graticule is, one should alway adjust the mount to put Polaris position relative to "0".

By the way, I think you have a typo in your statement "So if the app shows Polaris say at the 9 o'clock position then that's where it needs to be, i.e. to the middle right. Regardless of where the clock face is rotated to." 

9 o'clock is middle LEFT, not middle right 😁😁 In your pictorial example Polaris is at 01:50 😎

Yep it was a typo, I need to learn how to tell the time! No you do not align Polaris relative to 0. The explanation above by masjstovel explains it better.

Edited by Chefgage

3 hours ago, cheddar-man said:

Regardless of where the clock numbers are pointing, Polaris needs to be in the correct position. Take this example. The clock face has been rotated anti clockwise but Polaris is still in the same place as in the first image and second image.

20201110_122454.jpg