Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New mount bolts and screws going rusty...

jambouk

It is annoyoing the screws used on new [Skywatcher] mounts are invariable not stainless steel; an EQ8. Has been lugged in and out several times, and spent a couple of nights outside under a waterproof cover. I presume it would be drier in an observatory, but that isn't on the cards any time soon.

Do others change all the nuts and bolts and screws on external part of the mount for stainless ones, or just accept they are going to go a bit rusty over time...?

What about the insides which is more of a worry...?

James

• Like 1

Seems very short sighted to not use stainless screws and bolts , I swap out any I can get to easily for SS versions and I keep my gear in a ROR.

They still get damp on dewey nights with the roof open.

Inside the mounts is not such an issue as they will be warm inside when running and so should remain drier, and for me at least when not running they are under the roof and dry.

I've tended to wipe a very thin smear of grease over the threads, tho all mine are second user so a clean up of the threads by running a matching tap/die over the threads first was something I also did. Where I do replace with new I tend to go for stainless if available but even that will rust in the wrong environment, especially if dissimilar metals are involved.