NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Choosing a telescope

Hello there,

I'm about to buy my first telescope and I'm really torn between 2 models 

The first one is 160-1300 reflector that comes with 13 mm , 32 mm , 2x and 5x barlow lenses but comes with an alt-az mount and costs around 570 $ in my country

The second one is 152-750 reflector that comes with 20 mm eyepiece and 2x barlow lens but comes with an equatorial mount and costs around 440 $

I'm interested in astrophotography although the first one seems like a better option to me as it has a bigger aperture and magnification power and additional accessories , is it impossible to use it for deep sky astrophotography ?

http://www.egy-telescopes.com/reflector160-1300.html

http://www.egy-telescopes.com/vr 152-750 alt az.html

Edited by Hay-med93

Hello and welcome.

Even without the links to the actual scopes, there are some general observations:

- almost all serious astrophotographers use an equatorial mount, because it can track objects using smooth rotation around a single axis
- even then, to get really good results on fainter objects, you need a more expensive EQ mount that has finer tolerances and can manage a greater total weight
- nevertheless, few things are actually "impossible", and this group on this forum are a case in point
- astro imaging is a big learning curve (and not cheap) - if you are just setting out, think carefully whether you want to go straight into it 

I would avoid that pedestal mount unless it can be bolted to the ground.  It's going to tip over at some point unless there's a 100+ pound iron or lead weight at the bottom.

Personally, I would start out observing and not worry about astrophotography for a while.  Learn the sky and enjoy finding objects.

• Like 1