Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M67 - Open Cluster in Cancer - one lonely sub

jgs001

After my M44 run the other night, I was setting up to get M67, just got one sub for framing (wish I'd remembered to do this for M44 :) when the clouds started pushing across. I gave up and came in swearing, good job I did come in though, within 30 minutes it was hammering down... anyway... the image...

1x30s @ISO1600 hit hard in processing... I couldn't completely eliminate the pinkish tinge of the Skywatcher LP filter....

IMG_1173.jpg

It might only be one sub but it is my favourite of the 3 clusters you've posted. The stars are tiny and have some colour. I think the key must be to avoid over saturation of the stars. With more subs you would obviously get more stars appearing but this looks great. 30 secs at this iso seems to be just the job.

You've captured the faint cluster nicely, good tight stars and I like the colours (even if they are down to the filter). M67 is an 'old' cluster I believe and there's not much there except stars - however once you get stacking and fix your longer exposures issue, you'll bring several more into view. Worth having another go at!

Archived