NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First attempt at the "North America Nebula", DSLR

Had a few hours of darker sky before the bright moon rose to ruin it. A tad windy so used my tiny Equinox ED80 to avoid wind wobble.

What with the current news focus it seemed appropriate to have a go at the "North America Nebula"

Astromodified Canon 600D, stacked 58 x 90 sec at ISO800 (some darks and bias as well).

Didn't take enough care about checking sensor temperature and ran at 30 to 33 degrees, so its all a bit noisy, forgot to unfold the back LED screen away from behind the sensor area so it could get cold air blowing over it.  (but hey I'm new to imaging so allowed to make mistakes).

Just some basic stretch done in Gimp, about 10 mins processing as I wanted a quick look at the image.

It can probably be improved with a bit more time spent processing it.

North America Nebula 5 nov 2020_first stretch_30perc.jpg

Edited by fifeskies
  • Like 10

Nice. I was just commenting on another NAN image that this particular target is so bestrewn with stars that some sort of reduction technique IMO helps emphasize the nebula. YMMV, it's an artistic rather than technical decision.