Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Name that optic

Highburymark

I have a pair of Zeiss microscope eyepieces for binoviewing - model: OPMI 10/22B with T coatings. I’m intrigued about the optical design. There’s a long thread on CN which delves into the fascinating world of Zeiss microscope EPs, during which one contributor says it’s a triplet design (see drawing of cemented triplet - sketch by Madrid Sky). Does anyone know what this design is called? Can it be classified as an adapted Abbé ortho? It’s certainly super sharp and bright, but has a wider (50-55 degree) fov than a classic Abbé. 

367CF141-11B6-4141-A8E5-CB6F5391E3FD.jpeg

D5F7EEDB-7596-407E-8BB9-98961236AAD6.jpeg

46AB5EC4-15A6-40E9-9901-D72FE91B691B.jpeg

If the bottom surface of the triplet element is concave then it seems to be very similar to an abbe orthoscopic design. There was a konig design that also used a singlet-triplet configuration but the bottom surface of the triplet in that one was concave. I think the triplet might have been the eye lens in that design but it's a little unclear from this illustration:

https://www.brayebrookobservatory.org/BrayObsWebSite/HOMEPAGE/PageMill_Resources/Vernonscope%20Review%20html%20doc/Vernonscope%20Review4.jpg

Edited by John
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

.... The sketch I posted looks like it has a slight concave shape at the bottom of the triplet, unlike the convex design you posted.

I agree, which would suggest an abbe orthoscopic based design modified to permit a slightly larger well corrected field ?

Rather like Al Nagler did with the plossl.

• Like 1