NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Grab and go travel mount for >5kg payload?

Hi all! 

So, I have been looking for a relatively cheap "get up and go" mount/tripod for a 102mm F7 scope (tube length approx. 70cm), weight approx. 4kgs, but with a diagonal and a solid zoom eyepiece on board (unsure of total weight, but planning ahead andnsaying 5kgs). Also hope to use a 60mm finder scope on it if possible, but its ok if not. 

I have been recommended a few different things by different shops. Mainly, the Skywatcher Az4, and even the cheap Celestron heavy duty alt az mount which a significant retailer has recommended (but I am not sure, although the price is lovely). But I'm wondering if anyone else has any recommendations, or advice for me? 

Edited by LoveFromGallifrey

Both the AZ4 and AZ5 are good mounts but the aluminium tripod is not so good. I use the 3/8” stainless steel tripod with the AZ5 and it can take up to 9kg and is very solid

15 minutes ago, LoveFromGallifrey said:

Hi all! 

So, I have been looking for a relatively cheap "get up and go" mount/tripod for a 102mm F7 scope (tube length approx. 70cm), weight approx. 4kgs, but with a diagonal and a solid zoom eyepiece on board (unsure of total weight, but planning ahead andnsaying 5kgs). Also hope to use a 60mm finder scope on it if possible, but its ok if not. 

I have been recommended a few different things by different shops. Mainly, the Skywatcher Az4, and even the cheap Celestron heavy duty alt az mount which a significant retailer has recommended (but I am not sure, although the price is lovely). But I'm wondering if anyone else has any recommendations, or advice for me? 

Edited by banjaxed

I had a 4" f/7 triplet on an AZ5 + 3/8 steel tripod two years ago. The combo worked ok. Not as stable as some other heavier duty alt-az mounts like the Altair Sabre v2 (which I sold due to lack of slow-mo) or AYOII, but definitely useable and more portable. If you can cope with slightly more weight, the Skytee2 is a good choice as it's more stable than the AZ5 while retaining the slow-mo.

Personally I've switched my portable visual setup from manual alt-az to lightweight tracking eq. The main reason is less vibration with higher power EPs. The ES iEXOS-100 works very well for me.

Edited by KP82