NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Focuser upgrade

Now that I have managed to sort out the colimation of may Flextube 300P properly, I am considering upgrading the focuser. It would be nice to have slightly finer control over focus.

FLO recommend the Moonlite focuser and suggest that I do not really need a dual speed. I understand that dual speed is best suited for photography which I am not likely to do much of with my dob.

The thing is that a Moonlite single speed costs £156, whereas a Skywatcher dual speed costs £107. The cost of a Moonlite dual speed is £230.

Does anyone have any experience with the Skywatcher dual speed?

Is the Moonlite single speed the better option?

Finally, for the Moonlite, what drawtube option should I choose and what are the pros and cons of the different lengths?

I was on a budget and had to decide between a dual speed GSO focuser and a single speed Moonlight for my Dob. I went with the cheaper dual speed and havn't regretted it one bit, dual speed isn't essential for visual use but its a very nice extra to have.

• 2 weeks later...

The Revelation and the Skywatcher are the same and are very nice excellent quality focusers. I've used both and can highly recommended them. ScopesnSkies sell the new Antares focuser that is the same as the Revelation / Skywatcher at £88.49

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/antares/telescope-focuser/newtonian/crayford.hml

The Anatres from Rother Valley Optics is an older model and isn't anywhere near as well finished and is noticably inferior in quality to the new ones.

I beleive that the holes in the regular 300 tube aren't spaced right and new holes would have to be drilled. I assume it's the same with the Flextube.

John

Archived