Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars (Imaging & Observation) | Oct 26th 2020

MalVeauX

Hey all,

I've not been able to do much for months, this nasty stormy weather from the gulf around Florida and exhausting amount of tropical storms and hurricanes this year.

Anyhow, nothing special, but figured I'd share. We had a cloudy evening but was able to get a little sky time. My daughter (7) and I were looking at the solar system bodies in our sky tonight, including Jupiter, Saturn, the moon and finally Mars. We were able to observe mars for a while and finally I captured a little data on it in color to give us a reference frame to what we observed. We observed in a few different scope types and apertures to compare things. Seeing was average, so decent, but not as superb as it could be for Florida's typical evenings. Surprisingly we were able to see the ice cap in as small as an 80mm aperture. Our best view came from the C8 Edge with binoviewers.

C8 Edge HD

Meade 2x (2.5x really) triplet telenegative amplifier

ASI224MC

Seeing 3/5

Best 50% of 22k frames

50535670627_260d3d679e_o.jpg

My daughter's sketch of Mars from the C8 visually observed:

Emberlynn_Sketch_Mars_10262020.thumb.jpg.6f797960efdfbeb1492fdf956c0f4438.jpg

Last night's setup:

Mars_setup_10262020.thumb.jpg.c736ade2f16c7197ae1b6f6c03f60b74.jpg

Very best,

• Like 5