NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

It's time to move the camera...

Kryptic

Hi,

Noob after some advice please...
I've started out taking static images with dslr on tripod and stacking them. I think I now want to start down the path of tracking.
As I'm starting out, I don't really want to throw thousands at building kit like some of you have (where do you get all that money?) 
My initial thought was to start with a Star Adventurer... but...
Might it be better to go with something like an EQ3?
My initial goals are to try to get some decent images of stuff like Adromeda Galaxy and Orion nebula

Any thoughts \ advice greatly appreciated

1 hour ago, Kryptic said:

Hi,

Noob after some advice please...
I've started out taking static images with dslr on tripod and stacking them. I think I now want to start down the path of tracking.
As I'm starting out, I don't really want to throw thousands at building kit like some of you have (where do you get all that money?) 
My initial thought was to start with a Star Adventurer... but...
Might it be better to go with something like an EQ3?
My initial goals are to try to get some decent images of stuff like Adromeda Galaxy and Orion nebula

Any thoughts \ advice greatly appreciated

A good starting point would indeed be the star adventurer on a good solid tripod. Check out the star adventurer thread for examples of what can be done using it.

1 hour ago, Chefgage said:

A good starting point would indeed be the star adventurer on a good solid tripod. Check out the star adventurer thread for examples of what can be done using it.

Thanks

Yeah, I've done quite a bit of research and SA results can be very impressive.

My other thought though... is it worth considering something like the EQ3 so that guiding is an option in future?

27 minutes ago, Kryptic said:

Thanks

Yeah, I've done quite a bit of research and SA results can be very impressive.

My other thought though... is it worth considering something like the EQ3 so that guiding is an option in future?

You can guide with the star adventurer.

Go for the best mount you can afford and think about future-proofing. 

You're using a DSLR & lens now, but if you're likely to go for a scope in the future then will the mount take the weight? If you start guiding then you're looking to add a guide camera and guide scope/off axis guider into the mix.

Keep an eye out for second hand mounts, you may find a EQ3 or EQ5 for the price of a new SA + tripod.

Also think about how portable your setup needs to be. Do you plan on imaging from your garden or putting everything in the car a travelling to a dark sky site? I have an EQ5 mount and it's great for the garden but I don't know I'd want to start lugging it around in the car. :)

22 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

Go for the best mount you can afford and think about future-proofing. 
Keep an eye out for second hand mounts, you may find a EQ3 or EQ5 for the price of a new SA + tripod
Do you plan on imaging from your garden or putting everything in the car a travelling to a dark sky site? 

Thanks, Budgie. Your observation about 2nd hand kit is exactly the reason I asked :)

It'll have to be travelling (albeit not necessarily far - 15-20 mins)

Edited by Kryptic
  • Like 1

I have been using a second-hand EQ3-2 (just tracking, rather than guiding) and it works well on comets and larger DSOs, I find

NEOWISE100mm600s20200715-2.thumb.jpg.6dc2d8d33f97ecfe80ba3a8a744e5d56.jpg

This was taken with a Sigma 50-100mm F/1.8 zoom, 20 30 s exposures stacked, Canon EOS 80D (unmodded)

M42USM3expcropsat1curves.jpg.692c8e9704f2408b6fb14431dd4e2314.thumb.jpg.8931e2d1775a98a2aed1d325e58f1f89.jpg

This was with an 80mm F/6 scope with 0.8x reducer, and modded EOS 550D (very many 60 s exposures, totalling about 7 hours)

M31-12362s-csc-32bits-c-sat-c.thumb.jpeg.6039940fcc6d14a8de7ed4555e521875.jpeg

Same rig as above, about 3.4 hours of data.

The EQ3-2 is nice and affordable, and allows slightly beefier lenses and scopes to be used than the Star Adventurer (which from all reports is a very nice piece of kit too)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

You may have missed this one, but they do come up at good prices. ;)

Not even a little bit - I joined SGL this morning just to ask as that was posted and threw a spanner in works of waiting for SA availability :D 

• Like 1

Having a two-axis mount is really nice. Having GOTO is even nicer. Getting pointed is a big part of the battle when you're starting up -- and even now, years in, if my automation takes a dump...I shock myself at how long I have to work to get the target in view!

I respectfully disagree with those who counsel you to "future-proof". You don't know what you're going to want in the future. May as well start with something well within your budget and your ability to transport and set up repeatedly, and build up your skills to the point where you're ready for the next step -- if you ever are.

My friend the Finn sees no need to go beyond his iOptron SkyTracker. I went upscale for a CEM-25P and don't regret it, but I went in for deep sky in a major way. In fact for quite some time I hardly took a photograph that wasn't a deep-sky image.

You will have plenty of hills to climb with getting good data and especially learning processing. No need to complicate yet.

• Like 2