NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dithering settle time causing star issue!?

Rustang

So I think I may have found the cause of the star movement in my last imaging session, its not been a problem before but it appears to be how it goes sometimes in this hobby!! So I'm still new to dithering and have been using it for a handful of sessions (with out known issues), i have noticed that if the dithering takes a while then as soon as its completed the new exposure starts straight away, this is what I feel may be the problem as there will be no settle time!?. So how to do over come this? I have set a 50 sec wait time for the next exposure to start, the dither timeout is also set for 50 secs, so if it does take up to 50 secs for the dither to complete and the next exposure then starts straight away which could cause movement? But the other thing is, in the dither settings, its set to 15 secs settle time! when does that come into play? So do I need to up the wait time between exposures to make sure everything is settled? I'm using APP.

The reason I'm putting the star movement issue down to this is because after I re sent the scope to target after it crossed the med line, i turned off dithering as it was playing up, the short period of images once the dithering was turned off are the only ones without star movement so I'm kinda putting two and two together! But with astrophotography there's probably having to put 3 and 3 together or 4 and 4 😆!!!!

Single sub with star movement.

starmovement.jpg

Edited by Rustang

Hi Russ

What software are you using? 

I use an ASIair, and the dither waits until the guiding graph settles to within my set parameters - I have mine set to <2s variance on RA and Dec. Once it settles to within that limit, it will fire the next exposure. It’s not time-based.

Dave

17 minutes ago, Davehux said:

Hi Russ

What software are you using? 

I use an ASIair, and the dither waits until the guiding graph settles to within my set parameters - I have mine set to <2s variance on RA and Dec. Once it settles to within that limit, it will fire the next exposure. It’s not time-based.

Dave

I'm using APP 👍