Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Numpty Question Re: Hairdryers.

Hi,

I understand I can get a 12v hairdryer to get rid of condensation.

Now here is the numpty question of the week.......

Do I blow the warm air along the length of the tube on the outside or down the scope itself onto the mirrors?

I dont want to hear a loud cracking sound if I do it wrong.

Allan,

On find the mirror that really gets dewed up is the secondry so what I do is remove the eyepiece and blow warm air not hot air down the focuser tube. The air hits the secondry and within 30 secs it's clear.

When my secondary has dewed up I blast the air down the focuser tube, when the primary has dewed up I blow the hairdryer onto the back of the mirror for minute or two. It tales about 5 minutes for the dew to go but it does.

A 12V hairdryer probably won't put out air that's all that hot...

Something to consider is that ever since I put a dewshield on the front of my reflector I've only once had the main mirror or secondary dew up (Kelling last September) so I get to keep the hairdryer for mundane tasks like drying hair :)

James

Thanks for the replies.

It was as I thought but I wanted to be sure.

My wife nows thinks I am totally mental when I told her I need a hairdryer to blow dry my scope.

Bless her though, she did humour me and ask if her travel hair dryer was ok.

Allan.

Archived