NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Portencross, North Ayrshire - Planets And Double Doubles...

At Portencross last night, just waiting for the telescope to acclimatise to the ambient air temperature.  By the end of the evening, dew had formed on the outside of the OTA.

Good views were to be had of the gas giants, the moon, mars, etc. My friend though she saw Mars wearing sunglasses! 🤣 I looked and sure enough, that's what the dark features looked like. I don't know if it was because of the bright moon, but Mars looked quite pale and somewhat overly bright. A moon filter didn't help much.

The gas giants were nice, but not the clearest, due to seeing conditions.

Onto the Plough and the double doubles of Alcor and Mizar. We could easily make out Mizar A and B, with no problems.

The place did have a few boy racers come in to the car park, but seeing a police patrol was reassuring.

20201001_213445.jpg

1 hour ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Nice one Merlin, What magnification did you view this at, Did you tease out much detail? 🙂

No magnification required, the stink was strong enough! 🤣 It was a bit "nutty"! 🤢😂

3 hours ago, merlin100 said:

I also managed to find the biggest dog crap on the planet, in the dark. My boot was stinking! 

Bad luck. This happened to me recently. I wish all dog owners would be considerate.

At least you didn’t put your scope down on it!

3 hours ago, JeremyS said:

At least you didn’t put your scope down on it!

I'd have gone ballistic, if I had! 🤬 The bag and hang it from a tree mob are the worst type! 🤢🤬