NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Heq5 pro cable to laptop

Hello I've seen on first light optics which cable to get to connect my mount to the laptop but this is the only connection I have, is there a different way to do this? Or an adapter to change the gender of the plug. Not too sure here, any help is great thanks. 

IMG_20200929_201440_1.jpg

35 minutes ago, chrisund123 said:

That's VGA port on your laptop, you probably have serial cable (similar shape, but not the same).

You'll need a USB to serial adapter.

That'd the only port I've got, I did think it was vga. Was just checking what other options it has. 

16 minutes ago, si717 said:

if your hand controller has a dsub usb you could just connect from that to your usb on the pc ,and download the usb hand control software from skywatcher and ascom drivers thats the route i took

Okay cool will investigate, thank you 

I have recently connected my Laptop to my HEQ5 Pro via this method. The black curled cable on the left goes to the mount. The grey cable comes out of the RJ-11 port on the handset to a serial plug. Then plugged into that is a USB to serial converter cable which connects to the laptop via the USB plug. I then run my planetarium programme, which in my case is redshift 8,  to point the mount to objects displayed on the laptop. This can also be done via WiFi adaptor with my particular programme but I`m not sure which adaptor would be suitable. 

120369853_321016132524525_3082517495146325931_n.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Phil Fargaze said:

I have recently connected my Laptop to my HEQ5 Pro via this method. The black curled cable on the left goes to the mount. The grey cable comes out of the RJ-11 port on the handset to a serial plug. Then plugged into that is a USB to serial converter cable which connects to the laptop via the USB plug. I then run my planetarium programme, which in my case is redshift 8,  to point the mount to objects displayed on the laptop. This can also be done via WiFi adaptor with my particular programme but I`m not sure which adaptor would be suitable. 

120369853_321016132524525_3082517495146325931_n.jpg

Thanks for that, this forum is great. Don't know why I didn't join earlier instead of searching for ages through the Internet haha

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Phil Fargaze said:

This method is kind of basic but it suits me at the moment. There is a very good web page I came across which helped me get set up and includes some warnings to heed to avoid any fried electrics etc and it goes on to describe the more advanced methods of connection. See here

Thanks for the help with this, appreciate it