Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first Observation

Hi All

So I got the budget https://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel/skywatcher-startravel-80-tabletop-telescope.html and I got up and running 2 nights ago.

This was my all time first observation, no other help than the manual that came with the scope and what I read in the web. No star atlas, just phone apps.

Tried it on my front terrace, with lots of light pollution. I have led street light illuminating the terrace, just 10m away :(

But, ok. I assembled it and point it to Jupiter. Didn't try the polar alignment, either.

First thoughts:

- I really liked the experience. Seeing the moons(?) was very nice. I just hoped that my sky was darker..

- We get what we pay... the EQ1 seems sturdy enough but the fittings on the telescope are no good. Just "breathing" to it made it move. I need a good mount when a buy a "real" one.

- The eyepieces that came are plastic-ish and I struggled to use the 10mm with the Barlow.   Maybe I need one with longer eye relief? 

- The focus system is barely usable in high magnification... Is there a point to upgrade it in the model? Is it even possible?

- I wish the 90º mirror was longer because using it on a table is not easy.

- Didn't really understand how to setup the spotter, calibrating and such. I will try again in daylight.

- Didn't had any problems using the EQ mount, but as I said, used it without alignment.

All in all was a good first experience, limited yes but very enjoyable. Looking forward to another clear sky night!

The obligatory snapshot taken from the eyepiece with the cellphone, no mounts or anything. 

PXL_20200921_201124063_MP.thumb.jpg.8d4dca0f6c746526133e00bca63773cf.jpg

Edited by pedromreis
typo
  • Like 4

First time with a scope, nails a planet and its moons and gets a photo. Not a bad start at all.

To set your finder scope up, point the main scope up at something a good few hundred yards away (chimney pot is a good choice). Then look through the finder and twiddle with the knobs until it points at the exact same place as the scope. As the mount seems a bit wobbly, this might take a few iterations. For extra points and accuracy, put a higher power eyepiece in and get it smack on again. That should make finding things at night a lot easier. If you can get away from that streetlight, that would improve things.

If you've got any clear sky during the day, the Moon's a cracking object to look at, and also handy for getting used to the scope.

• Thanks 1